We are an experimental research group in Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics (AMO) and particularly interested in coherent interaction of light with matter. Using double or triple resonance excitation of molecular systems we measure the radiative lifetimes of the highly excited molecular energy states. Rovibrationally and time-resolved molecular spectroscopy in conjuntion with the photon counting method is used to measure radiative lifetimes which offers accurate knowledge of the transition dipole moments and thus provide a better understanding of the structure of the excited molecular states and their decay dynamics. Our research projects are supported by the National Science Foundation.
Group achievement 2022
- 2022-06 Our group welcomes Vivian Felso as a REU summer research student, supported by NSF.
- 2022-06 Congratulations to the group on presenting at DAMOP/APS Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- 2022-05 Congratulations to Morgan Davies for receiving "Outstanding Undergraduate Student Researcher" and Benny Makias for "Commendation in Undergraduate Researcher" Awards!
- 2022-05 Congratulations to Morgan Davies for receiving "USS - Undergraduate Summer Scholar" Award from Miami University. Morgan will be working in our group over the summer 2022.
- 2022-04 Congratulations to Sanjib Thapa for accepting Baylor University Physics Doctoral program among multiple offers from highly competitive programs. Best wishes!
Group achievement 2021
- 2021-11 Sanjib Thapa presented at the Frontier in Optics and Laser Science and at Miami Annual Graduate Research Forum.
- 2021-8 Our group welcomes undergraduate student Morgan Davies.
- 2021-6 Congratulations to Lok Panth for his graduation with MS. Lok is off to Texas A&M.
- 2021-5 Our group welcomes Sanjib Thapa.
- 2021-5 Congratulations to Lok Pant for receiving "Outstanding Graduate Student Researcher"!
- 2021-5 Congratulations to Tommy Daigler and Benny Makias for Commendation in Undergraduate Research Awards!
- 2021-2 Congratulations to Lok Raj Pant for accepting Texas A&M Physics Doctoral program among multiple offers from highly competitive programs. Best wishes!
- 2021-2 Our group welcomes undergraduate students Tommy Daigler and Benny Makias.
- 2021-1 Our group published in Journal of Quantitative Spectrosopy and Radiative Transfer. Excellent work done by Lok Pant, Joseph Converse and lab alumnus Dinesh Wagle. Congratulations!
Our Research & Group News Releases
- 2019-07-01 Pysics Today article; our lab and students Link
- 2018-04-27 Bayram delivered Harrison-MacRae Lecture at Queen's University Link
- 2015-05-01 Campus News about our group's outreach activity Link
- 2016-02-19: Promotion and Tenure
- 2015-05-01 Bayram receives APS 2015 Award Link
- 2014-11-26 Miami University Physics, posting on Nov. 26. 2014, Link
- 2014-11-24 Miami Students are Using New Laser Technology, Miami In The News, Link
- 2014-05-09 Red, green and purple to the delight of molecules, Miami news, Link
- 2014-11-24 Lasers Sheds New Light on Molecules at Miami, NPR Radio Station, Link
- 2014-8-20 Spotlight of Briana Vamosi (junior), Link
- 2012-10-10 ALPhA Laboratory Immersions
- 2009-02-19: Promotion and Tenure
- 2008-10-28: Atomic collisions from basic research to new technologies Link
Group achievement 2020
2020-11 Congratulations to Lok Pant for successfully defending his MS thesis prospectus.
2020-10 Lok Raj presented his research at OSAPS and Frontier in Optics and Laser Science Conferences.
2020-5 Scott Wenner and Joseph Converse received Commendation in Undergraduate Research Awards at the Physics Department's annual awards seminar.
Group achievement 2019
- 2019-08 AMO group welcomes graduate student Lok Raj Pant, research assistant supported by NSF.
- 2019-07 Michael Saaranen and Joseph Converse with President Crawford on Physics Today! Link
- 2019-07 Congratulations to Dinesh Wagle for sucessfully defending his MS thesis!
- 2019-05 Congratulations to Michael Saaranen for receiving Outstanding Graduate Research Award!
- 2019-05 Congratulations to Max Gottliebson and Joseph Converse for receiving Research and Scholarship Awards at the Physics Department Award Ceremony!
- 2019-05 Congratulations to Michael Saaranen for sucessfully defending his MS thesis on the radiative lifetime measurement of higly excited sodium dimers using time-resolved double-resonance spectroscopy.
- 2019-04 Joseph Converse and Max Gottliebson presented their research at the Miami Undergraduate Forum.
- 2019-04 Congratulations to Michael Saaranen for receiving an offer from Colorado School of Mines, Space Resources Science Graduate Program!
- 2019-04 Congratulations to Scott Wenner for receiving Undergraduate Summer Scholar Award!
- 2019-04 Congratulations to Joseph Converse for receiving NIST SURF fellowship in Gaithersburg, Maryland!
- 2019-04 Congratulations to Maggie Mize for receiving summer internship position at Jefferson National Lab, Virginia!
- 2019-03 Congratulations to Dinesh Wagle who has been accepted to his top-choice Physics Doctoral program at the University of Delaware!
- 2018-11 Our work on the lifetime measurement in the highly excited state of sodium dimer has been published in the Journal of Chemical Physics. Excellent work done by Dinesh and Michael. Congratulations!
- 2018-10 Congratulations to Dinesh Wagle and Michael Saaranen for sucessful presenting their Master's prospectus!
- 2018-09 Michael and Dinesh presented at the APS Division of Atomic, Molecular & Optical Physics, 49th Annual DAMOP Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- 2017-08 AMO group welcomes graduate students Dinesh Wagle & Michael Saaranen as an NSF-supported Research Assistants. Have a wonderful academic year!
- 2017-08 Congratulations to both Michael Saaranen and Jacob McFarland for sucessfully completing their senior Capstone projects. Good luck on future studies!
- 2017-05 Jacob and Michael presented their research at the 2017 Miami UR Forum. Great work!
- 2017-02 Major upgrade of the spectrometer system has been received.
- 2016-11 Congratulations to Tim Horton for successfullly defending his Master's thesis. Great job!
- 2016-09 Our group welcomes Maggie Mize, Ziwei Zhang, Michael Saaranen and Rohan Radke.
- 2016-09 Congratulations to the group members for their hard work and NSF Award! We have now open NSF supported RA positions. Contact Dr. Bayram
- 2016-06 Summer research group, Tim, Jacob & Matt (US Scholar), with great start!
- 2016-06 Jacob McFarland presented our work at DAMOP, Rhode Island.
- 2016-05 Group's Great Job presenting at Talawanda Science Week. Link
- 2016-05 Congratulations to Briana, Jacob and Matt for receiving Commendation in Undergraduate Research Awards!
- 2016-05 Congratulations to Briana Vamosi for being accepted to Cincinnati Medical School!
- 2016-05 Congratulations to Briana for successfully completing her capstone project!
- 2016-04 Group presentations by Jacob and Tim at OSAPS spring 2016 in Dayton.
- 2016-03 Congratulations to Matt Kelly for receiving 2016 Undergrad. Summer Scholar Award.
- 2016-02 LaTeX workshop opened for all students. See Dr. Bayram for more information.
- 2015-11 Our group welcomes Matt Kelly and Ben Groves (FYRE).
- 2015-11 Congratulations to Jacob McFarland for a successful Physics Seminar talk.
- 2015-10 Congratulations to Salah Uddin for project presentation at OSAPS.
- 2015-09 Congratulations to Maha Aljohani and Tim Horton for presenting their projects at the Graduate Symposium.
- 2015-09 Congratulations to all students in our group for publication in Optics Communication!
- 2015-08 Congratulations to Phill Arndt and Amal Qassadi! They have been accepted to doctoral programs!
- 2015-08 Congratulations to Phill Arndt (PhD Temple) and Amal Qassadi (PhD WPI) successfully submitting their theses and receiving their M.Sc. in Physics.
- 2015-06 Jacob McFarland, Salahuddin and Phill presented at DAMOP, Columbus. Link
- 2015-05 Amal Qassadi received PhD offer from WPI and Phill Arndt from Temple University.
- 2015-05 Congratulations to Phill Arndt for Outstanding Graduate Research Award. Patrick Boyle (post-group graduate) for Outstanding Senior Award! , Jacob McFarland and Briana Vamosi for Commendation Undergraduate Research Awards.
- 2015-04 Briana, Jacob and Bradley present at the 21st Miami Undergraduate Research Forum.
- 2015-03 Congratulations to Jacob McFarland for receiving Undergraduate Summer Scholar Award!
- 2015-03 Congratulations to Briana Vamosi for being selected to present her research at the US Capital Hill in Washington D.C. through Posters-on-the-Hill program.
- 2015-01 Congratulations to Salahuddin, Phill and Tim for receiving NSF Research Assistanships.
2014-12 Our work on Quantum Beat Spectroscopy has been published. Congratulations to the group!
2014-11 Congratulations to the research group, broadcasted on WVXU Radio Station this morning! Link
2014-11 Phill Arndt presents two research projects at the 2014 Graduate Research Forum. Link
2014-10 Jacob McFarland and Patrick Boyle presented their research at Miami Physics Seminar. Great Job!
2014-10 Briana Vamosi (class of 2016) on the Student Spotlight! Link
2014-10 Welcome to Amal
Qassadi (grad) joining to our research group.
2014-09 Watch Patrick and Jacob describing their research and future plans at Miami CAS site. Video Link
2014-09 Welcome to Salah Uddin (grad), Tim Horton (grad) & Maha Aljohani (grad) joining to our resarch group.
2014-07 Our research group is on Miamian summer 2014 magazine. Link
2014-05 Our group went live on Miami top news on May 9-Congratulations to Briana, Phill, Jacob & Patrick Link
2014-05 Congratulations to undergraduate students Jacob McFarland and Patrick Boyle for receiving Department of Physics Undergraduate Research Awards.
2014-05 Congratulations to graduate student Phill Arndt for receiving the Department of Physics Outstanding Research by 1st Year Student Award.
2014-04 Graduate student Phill Arndt presented our work on 'quantum beats spectroscopy of the hyperfine evolution in excited cesium' at the OSAPS/APS conference. Link
2014-04 Undergraduate students Briana Vamosi and Jacob McFarland presented at the 2014 Miami Undergraduate Research Forum. Link
2014-04 Congratulations to Briana Vamosi for being selected to present 'molecular spectroscopy of iodine' at the US Capital Hill in Washington D.C. through Posters-on-the-Hill program by Miami University.