Download Full vita (pdf). Updated 5-2013
John F. Rakovan Department of Geology, Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056
Telephone (513) 529-3245
e-mail: Rakovajf@ muohio.edu
· Professor, Department of Geology & Environmental Earth Science, Miami University (7/1/11-present): Miami Report
· Associate Professor, Department of Geology, Miami University (6/1/04-6/30/11)
· Assistant Professor, Department of Geology, Miami University (1/1/98-6/1/04)
· Postdoctoral research faculty in mineral-water interface geochemistry, Virginia Polytechnic Institute (4/1/96-12/1/97)
Selected Appointments and Activities
· Fulbright Research Fellow and visiting Professor AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow Poland 2012.
· Fellow of the Mineralogical Society of America (elected 10/27/2007).
· International Mineralogical Association Commission on New Minerals, Nomenclature and Classification Subcommittee on Apatite Nomenclature (3/08-5/2010).
· Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Japan (1/05-8/05)
· Associate Editor, American Mineralogist (5/99-5/2002)
· Executive Editor, Rocks and Minerals (2001-present)
· Guest researcher, Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Laboratory (1998-present)
· Adjunct professor, Department of Chemistry, Miami University
· Guest researcher, National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory (1991-present)
· Invited Associate Member of the Stony Brook NSF/DOE Center for Environmental Molecular Science
· Ph.D. in mineralogy/geochemistry, State University of New York at Stony Brook (1996)
· M.S. in clay mineralogy/crystallography, University of Illinois at Chicago (1990)
· B.S. in geology, University of Illinois at Ur bana-Champaign (1988)
Publications: Selected Publications
Courses Developed and Taught:
GLG 131, 280, 180: Gems and Gem Formation
GLG 432/532: Powder X-ray Diffraction and Clay Mineralogy
GLG 430/530: Mineral-Water Interface Geochemistry
GLG 211: Geochemical Systems of the Earth
GLG 111: Introductory Geology
GLG 699: Scanning Probe Microscopy. Summer workshop
GLG 499/599: Geology and Hydrothermal Mineralization of the Rio Grande Rift. Summer workshop
· Mineralogical Society of America
· Geochemical Society
· Clay Mineral Society
Selected Service Activities:
· Mineralogical Society of America Arts Council, Outreach Committee, and Nominating Committee for Officers
· Miami University Committee on Faculty Research. 8/04-8/07. Chair ANS subcommittee 2006-07.
· Miami University Natural and Applied Science Area Subcommittee of Graduate Council. 8/04-8/06.
· Miami University Geology Society (MUGS) faculty representative, 5/99-01
· Geology Department advisor to honors students and coordinator of special programs for honors students 9/99-present.Department Library Liaison, 5/99-present
· Minorities in Math and Science Education Participant Instructor. 6/98-present
· NSF Grant EAR-0952298 " Coprecipitation of Pb and As in apatite and applications to environmental remediation". 8/15/10
· Apex Companies LLC "Phosphate Induced Metal Stabilization on Former Refined Metals Site, Jacksonville, Florida". 11/21/08.
· Apex Companies LLC "Arsenic Source, Speciation and Treatment Study, Former Refined Metals Site Jacksonville, Florida". 7/1/08.
· NSF EAR-0722807 MRI: "Acquisition of a High Resolution Analytical Transmission Electron Microscope for the Miami University Electron Microscope Facility" 8/1/07
· Ohio Board of Regents Action Fund and Miami Uiversity: "Acquisition of a High Resolution Analytical Transmission Electron Microscope for the Miami University Electron Microscope Facility" Matching funds against an NSF-IF proposal. 8/1/07.
· NSF Grant EAR-0409435 "Crystal Chemistry of U, Th and Other Radionuclides in Apatite: Environmental and Geochemical Implications". 5/4/04
· NSF Grant EAR-0320872 "Acquisition of a Scanning Electron Microscope for Nanotechnology Investigations" 6/24/03.
· Ohio Board of Regents Action Fund and Miami Uiversity: "Acquisition of a Scanning Electron Microscope for Nanotechnology Investigations" Matching funds against an NSF-IF proposal. 6/24/03.
· Miami CFR Faculty Research Grant "The Behavior and Fate of Aqueous Radionuclides During Calcium Phosphate Precipitation and Evolution in the Environment" 11/2002
· NSF REU supplement to Grant EAR-0001215 "Atomic Force Microscopy characterization of The palygorskite-sepiolite to smectite transformation" 6/2001.
· NSF Grant EAR-IF 0003201 "Acquisition of a CCD-detector Single Crystal X-ray Diffractometer." 12/2000
· Ohio Board of Regents and Miami Uiversity: "Acquisition of a CCD-detector Single Crystal X-ray Diffractometer." Matching funds against an NSF-IF proposal. 12/2000.
· NSF: Grant EAR -0001215 "The palygorskite-sepiolite to smectite transformation and the influence on reactive surface sites" 6/2000.
· NSF REU supplement to Grant EAR-9814691 "Hydrothermal Mineralization of the Hansonburg Mining District, Bingham, NM." 4/1999.
· NSF Grant EAR-9814691 "Probing the Structure and Energetics of Reactive Sites at the Mineral-Water Interface: Implications for Element Partitioning and Geochronology". 1/1999
Back to Rakovan's Homepage