Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies
at Miami University
Support the Program
The Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program has always relied on the generosity of our friends and supporters. We use our unrestricted gift account for incidental expenses that help improve our connections to scholars, teachers, students and community members through small symposia, workshops, gatherings, and travel grants. The gift account, for example, can be used to pay mileage expenses for Women's Studies majors to travel to regional high schools to talk about Women's Studies, to help our students attend conferences, such as the AAUW National Conference for College Women Student Leaders, and to facilitate informal gatherings such as our November, 2008 meeting with AWS (Associated Women Students), staff, faculty, and community members to discuss ideas for raising awareness about sexual assault and sexual assault prevention on campus and in Oxford.
In addition to unrestricted gifts, you may specify that your contribution be devoted exclusively to one of the following initiatives:
- The Nellie Craig Award Fund
- Named for the first known African American student at Miami, the Nellie Craig Award offers support to a Miami University scholar whose work focuses on African American Women history and African American Women's and Gender issues.
- The Las Mujeres Award Fund
- This award offers support to a Miami University scholar who provides leadership on Chicana issues and research initiatives in conjunction with the Miami Latin American Studies Program and the Miami University Latina/o Community Coordinator.
- Miami Tribe Award Fund
- This award offers a support to a Miami University scholar whose research involves American Indian women and women of the Miami tribe. The Miami Tribe Women's Studies Coordinator works closely with the staff of the Myaamia Project based in Oxford, Ohio, and also may travel to Miami tribal locations in Indiana and Oklahoma to meet with women tribal leaders.
- GLBTQ Studies Endowed Chair Campaign
- The GLBTQ Studies endowed chair campaign is one of the Bicentennial initiatives of the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program and the GLBTQ Advisory Committee to the Associate Vice President for Institutional Diversity. The campaign seeks to raise $1,000,000 to create an endowed chair in GLBTQ studies.
- Internship Travel Fund
- This fund will support students who travel outside of southwestern Ohio for WGS-related internships. Depending on resources available in the fund, qualifying students will be awarded small travel grants to cover transportation expenses.
- Karen Maitland Schilling Prize
- This prize is awarded by the Office of Student Financial Assistance to one or more Miami University graduating seniors who best exemplify Dr. Schilling's commitment to scholarship and leadership. Preference shall be given to Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies (WGS) and/or Psychology majors or minors, or other students in the College of Arts and Science conducting feminist projects. A committee of WGS faculty shall recommend nominations of the recipient(s) to the Dean of the College of Arts and Science and the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
Please contact Evan Lichtenstein at the Miami University Division of University Advancement at (513) 529-1263 to find out how you can provide support for these areas.
How To Make Your Gift
Please make your check payable to the Miami University Foundation, designate Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies on the memo line, and send to:
Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies Program
c/o Miami University
725 E. Chestnut Street
Oxford, OH 45056
or give online:
Visit Miami's secure, encrypted online giving form and then:
- Under Designations, enter the dollar amount of your contribution in the Other Fund box.
- Type in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies in the Other (please specify other fund for contribution) box.
Donors may transfer donate assets such as stocks, bonds, mutual fund shares, or real estate as gift commitments. The benefits of transferring appreciated assets may include tax deductions and the avoidance of capital gains tax. Please contact Evan Lichtenstein in the Miami University Division of University Advancement at (513) 529-1263 for further information.
Estate or Deferred Gifts
An estate or deferred gift to the Miami University Foundation designated for the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program, can allow you or your advisors to incorporate future support for Miami University into your individual financial planning strategies. Please contact Evan Lichtenstein in the Miami University Division of University Advancement at (513) 529-1263 for further information.