Why don't you publish this website as a book?

Here are a few of the many reasons why this website is online rather than a published book:

  • Computer technology is one of the most underutilized resources in today's classroom. The cost of computer equipment for one classroom far exceeds the amount of money that classroom teacher will receive for all other materials. Yet teachers often receive little computer training and are allotted little time to apply available Internet resources in the classroom. Science for Ohio pools the discoveries of many teachers by acting as a website organizer. The Related Resources sections of each inquiry contain only the most useful Internet links for each activity. As Internet sites change, they can be updated or removed. As teachers from around Ohio discover newer, more engaging Internet sites, they can be added.
  • Paper is a finite natural resource. Most teachers have dozens, if not hundreds of text resources that they collect over the course of their careers. The average teacher will probably directly refer to 10% of these resources for use in the classroom each year. The other 90% will collect dust on shelves or in filing cabinets and eventually be recycled or more likely be thrown away. With Science for Ohio, you print only what you plan to use. As a result, 100% of the paper resource gets used in the classroom.
  • Teaching resources need to be dynamic. The best teaching ideas come from teachers who are in the classroom everyday. When they conduct an activity, they know right away what works and what doesn't. Teachers who use Science for Ohio materials created by Ohio teachers will shape these materials by their feedback and through the investigations they submit. This feedback will mean that Science for Ohio is ever-changing in response to teacher feedback.
  • Many resources become outdated almost as soon as they're published. One goal of Science for Ohio is to remain up-to-date with the current trends in science education that will affect Ohio's teachers.