Institute for the Environment & Sustainability
at Miami University
- Ecology, Graduate Program in
- ... offers certificate to MA, MS, PhD in natural science departments.
[Visit the Graduate Program in Ecology website.]
- English/Professional Writing
- ... is an ideal first or second major for students seeking to enter a wide range of public and professional careers.
[Learn more about the Professional Writing major.]
- Research Experience for Undergraduates in Ecology and Environmental Science
- [Learn more at Miami's REU in Ecology and Environmental Science website.]
- Animal Behavior, Center for
- ... provides opportunities to study animal behavior at many levels. The work at the center helps us better understand how animal and human behavior is generated and how it has been maintained over time.
[Visit the Center for Animal Behavior website.]
- Computational Research, Center for Advancement of
- ... promotes collaboration and the use of computational science and high-performance computing in research and teaching.
[Visit the Center for Advancement of Computational Research website.]
- Ecology Research Center
- ... is a 175-acre field site dedicated to research and education in ecology and environmental science. The center is a focal point for faculty and student research, field exercises for undergraduate and graduate-level courses, K-12 school field trips, and community clubs.
[Visit the Ecology Research Center website.]
- Environmental Education, Center for
- ... promotes an understanding of animal biodiversity, conservation, and ecology through the activities of the Hefner Zoology Museum and programs emphasizing environmental education.
[Visit the Center for Environmental Education website.]
- Herbarium, Willard Sherman Turrell
- ... is located on Miami University's Oxford campus and is Ohio's largest herbarium. The holdings of approximately 620,000 specimens are worldwide in both geographical and taxonomic coverage.
[Visit the Willard Sherman Turrell Herbarium website.]
- Statistical Consulting Center
- ... provides comprehensive support for quantitative problems that are common in environmental disciplines.
[Visit the Statistical Consulting Center website.]
- Earth Expeditions
- ... is a global conservation program created by Project Dragonfly at Miami University in partnership with the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden. The program offers university courses in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Through field and zoo expedition courses, Earth Expeditions seeks to build an alliance of individuals with firsthand knowledge of inquiry-driven, community-based learning for the benefit of ecological communities, student achievement, and global understanding.
[Visit the Earth Expeditions website.]
- Study Abroad Workshops and Field-based Courses
- ... are administered by LifeLong Learning at Miami University. Study Abroad Workshops are for-credit courses and many deal with environmental themes such as wildlife conservation, natural resource sustainability, environmental education, ecosystem ecology, and energy efficiency. Field-based Courses are an important component for many of the majors at Miami University. These courses provide students with practical experience and exposure to a wide range of environmental issues.
[Visit LifeLong Learning's Study Abroad website.]
Learn more about these exciting summer opportunities:
- Biodiversity of Kenya [2010 PDF]
- Connections: Belize Ecology and Natural History [2011 PDF]
- Coral Reef Ecology [2009 PDF]
- Cultural and Ecological Diversity in Ecuador [2009 PDF]
- Culture and Environment in Brazil [2011 PDF]
- Environmental Issues of the Miami Tribe [2011 PDF]
- Sustainable Development and Ecotourism in the Eastern Caribbean [2010 PDF]
- Tropical Marine Ecology of the Florida Keys, Everglades, & Bahamas [2012 PDF]
- Tropical Ecosystems of Costa Rica [2012 PDF]
- Birds without Borders
- ... is a program started by Miami University in conjunction with the Avian Research and Education Institute and the Autonomous University of Tamaulipas [Mexico]. Birds without Borders recognizes that researchers, citizen scientists, and government agencies from all geographic areas important in a bird's range must work in cooperation.
[Visit the Birds without Borders website.]
- Avian Research and Education Institute
- ... is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and conservation of bird populations. The institute is involved in bird banding and educational activities at the Miami University Bird Observatory for Miami students, K-12 classes, and the broader community.
[Visit the Avian Research and Education Institute website.]
- Project Dragonfly
- ... engages millions of children, parents, and educators through inquiry-driven learning media, public exhibits, television, global conservation projects, and graduate courses. Dragonfly's partnership programs include Earth Expeditions, Wild Research, iDiscovery, and the PBS children's television series DragonflyTV.
[Visit the Project Dragonfly website.]
- Wild Research
- ... is a national program to deepen public engagement at zoos by inviting families to participate in zoo-based research. Wild Research seeks to revolutionize how zoos serve as public learning institutions.
[Visit the Wild Research website.]