The Humanities Center
at Miami University
- The director is normally appointed for a three-year term. The term may be renewed once.
- She or he is appointed by Dean and serves at the pleasure of the Dean.
- The appointment process is as follows: The steering committee calls for nominations (including self-nominations) from among tenured faculty. A list of candidates is circulated among the faculty associates, who are asked to submit comments to the Dean.
- Responsibilities include: overall planning, academic programming, financial oversight, fundraising, and public outreach.
- Administrative assistant – This position is a half-time staff position. It provides administrative support including tracking finances.
- Steering Committee
- Members of the Steering Committee have three-year, staggered terms.
- The Committee consists of five members including the two Altman Faculty Fellows and three at-large members, all from different departments or programs. The following are ex-officio members: the director, the past director for one year, and a representative of the Dean’s office.
- At-Large members of the Steering Committee must be tenured or tenure-track professors in the College of Arts and Sciences with an appointment in a humanities department/program or a record of research that is primarily humanistic in character. When necessary, the current steering committee decides any questions of eligibility. At-large members are elected by the Faculty Associates from a list of eligible volunteers.
- Duties include consultation and assistance of the director in matters of programming, fundraising, funding, approval of annual financial plan, and other aspects of governance and planning. Duties also include oversight of the Altman Fellows Program.
- Ad Hoc Committees may be formed by the director, as necessary, for work on particular projects.
- The Advisory Board consists of members of the faculty, regional or national institutions, corporations, and others, upon whose advice the Center, and particularly the director and associate director, may draw to further alliances, collaborations, fundraising efforts, and outreach efforts.
- Faculty Associates are the faculty community that constitutes the Humanities Center. All Miami University faculty members (including adjuncts and part-time faculty) with interests in humanities scholarship may request membership.
- Center Associates form the wider scholarly community of the Humanities Center. They may include students, other members of the university community, and local or regional scholars interested in an association with the Center.