Geology at Miami has been around practically as long as the university. The following timeline takes you back through the layers of geologic history at Miami. You may find it more interesting to explore history from the ground up, starting in 1809.
|2010||The Department of Geology celebrates its 90th year at Miami University and 175 years of geology as part of the Miami curriculum.|
|2009||The Geology Field Station celebrates 63 consecutive years of operation at Timberline Ranch in Wyoming as Miami celebrates its Bicentennial.|
|1996||The Geology Field Station celebrates 50 consecutive years of operation in Dubois, Wyoming.|
|1982||The Miami University Geology Museum becomes The Karl E. Limper Geology Museum.|
|1979||The Primitive Earth Revisited Symposium celebrates Shideler Hallís ten-year anniversary.|
Miami University Geology Museum opens.
The Primitive Earth Symposium celebrates the completion of Shideler Hall.
|1966||Shideler Hall construction completed.|
|1952||Miami operates the field station alone from this point forward.|
|1947||University of Mississippi and Syracuse University join as field station partners.|
|1940||Miami, Knox College, and Cornell College operate field station in Dubois, Wyoming.|
|1931||Geology department awards first Master's degree to Ralph T. Strete.|
|1922||Geology department awards first Bachelor's degree to Paul H. Dunn.|
|1920||"Doc" Shideler establishes Department of Geology.|
|1909||William H. Shideler replaces Burke as a member of the zoology faculty and obtains his Ph.D. in geology from Cornell University in 1910.|
|1908||R. H. Burke composes the Miami University Fight Song|
|1907||A young William H. Shideler, a native of nearby Seven Mile in Butler County, Ohio, earns his B.A. at Miami University.|
|1906||R. H. Burke reintroduces Geology to Miami coursework.|
|1890||James dismissed for teaching evolution.|
|1885||"New Miami" opens; Joseph Francis James [son of the renowned amateur fossil collector, Uriah Pierson James of Cincinnati] assumes professorship of natural history.|
|1873||"Old Miami" closes, and Rev. Osborn leaves.|
|1870||Rev. Osborn takes over for Prof. Stoddard.|
|1867||Prof. Stoddard founds Science Department; secures first collection of geological specimens.|
|1845||Prof. Stoddard (as in Stoddard Hall) teaches geology in "English and Science Course."|
|1835||Rev. Scott teaches course on "natural history", including geology.|
|1809||Miami University founded.|
For more information, please read the article by Dr. John K. Pope on the History of Geology at Miami.