Film Studies at Miami University
Support the Program
Film Studies is an interdisciplinary minor open to all Miami students. Our program offers students a variety of critical approaches to the study of film as a unique and evolving art form, a key part of the media landscape, a branch of entertainment industry, and an important contributor to the shaping of culture and society on a national, regional, and global level. It integrates courses that treat film as a major art form or that use film as a specific and unique analytical device in the study of different aspects of society and culture, including literature, history, the arts, and national cultures.
It offers a broad introduction to importance and influence of film, variety of film studies methodologies, and history and criticism of the modes of cinema across the world. The Global Miami Plan encourages students to engage the world. One of the traditional strengths of our program is treatment of film in a diversity of contexts, which enhances the students' understanding of themselves and their global neighbors.
Film Studies is a flexible program that combines solid and rigorous training with encouraging students to pursue their particular interests across a wide spectrum of courses. In addition to classes offered in a wide variety of departments, we at Miami sponsor extra- and co-curricular speakers and events. Your generous support of these endeavors helps to ensure that this is at all possible. Please take a few minutes and consider how valuable a resource this is to our students and help us continue these efforts with a gift.
There are several ways you can help us.
These gifts allow us to apply your gift to the area of greatest need.
Please contact Evan Lichtenstein at the Miami University Division of University Advancement at (513) 529-1263 to find out how you can provide support for these areas.
- Sponsor symposia or a speakers' fund for topics related to any aspect of film studies
- Grants to offset travel expenses for students to attend conferences, festivals, and professional meetings in the United States or to pursue study abroad
- Scholarships in film studies to recruit the very best students to attend Miami and to reward excellence at Miami
- Internship grants to support summer internships for our students
- Create a classroom enrichment fund to support the purchase of films and other media
- Assistance for students who struggle to purchase books and supplies for coursework
- Travel grants for faculty for research activities
How To Make Your Gift
Please make your check payable to the Miami University Foundation, designate Film Studies on the memo line, and send to:
c/o Miami University
725 E. Chestnut Street
Oxford, OH 45056
or give online:
Visit Miami's secure, encrypted online giving form and then:
- Under Designations, enter the dollar amount of your contribution in the Other Fund box.
- Type in Film Studies in the Other (please specify other fund for contribution) box.
Donors may transfer donate assets such as stocks, bonds, mutual fund shares, or real estate as gift commitments. The benefits of transferring appreciated assets may include tax deductions and the avoidance of capital gains tax. Please contact Evan Lichtenstein in the Miami University Division of University Advancement at (513) 529-1263 for further information.
Estate or Deferred Gifts
An estate or deferred gift to the Miami University Foundation designated for Film Studies, can allow you or your advisors to incorporate future support for Miami University into your individual financial planning strategies. Please contact Evan Lichtenstein in the Miami University Division of University Advancement at (513) 529-1263 for further information.