College of Arts & Science & University Studies
Registering for Courses
Step 1: Review your DARS
Early in the semester, review your DARS and make sure your major(s), minor(s) and thematic sequence are listed correctly. If they do not appear or if they are incorrect, this may affect your ability to register for the appropriate courses.
Declaring/Changing Major, Minor, or Thematic Sequence
- Pick up Change of Major form at the Office of the Registrar (or any advising office).
- Complete the form and obtain a signature from:
- chief departmental advisor (CDA) for major in the College of Arts & Science
- minor advisor for minor in the College of Arts & Science
- department for thematic sequence
- Submit the form to CAS Academic Advising (146 Upham Hall) or, in the case of a thematic sequence declaration/change, the division that houses the thematic sequence.
Step 2: Find Out When You Can Register
All students are assigned a specific registration time, known as a registration window. The Registrar assigns registration windows according to earned credit hours. You can find your earned credit hours by looking at the Undergraduate Summary to Date section on the last page of your DARS.
Finding Your Registration Window
Note: Registration information is usually available 3 weeks prior to the start of registration.
- Login to BannerWeb.
- Click on Student Services.
- Click on Registration.
- Click on Check your registration status and your registration dates and times.
Step 3: Choose Your Courses
- Review course offerings on BannerWeb or Course List.
- Make a list of courses for which you plan to register.
- Meet with your faculty and divisional advisors to discuss your registration plan and progress toward your degree.
Step 4: Register Online
Register online during your assigned registration window. During your initial registration window, you will be able to register for 17 hours. During open registration, you will be able to register for up to 20 hours.
For additional information, please check the Office of the Registrar.
Changing Your Course Registration
You can change your course registration in BannerWeb during your registration window and during the open registration period, which extends until 11:59 pm on the last day of the first week of classes.
Adding a Course
If you wish to add a course that is closed, you must contact the instructor to determine whether he or she will add you to the course. This process, more commonly known as a force-add, is completed using a Change of Schedule form (available in the Office of the Registrar or CAS Advising Office). The instructor must sign the form and you must submit it to the Office of the Registrar.
If you wish to add a class after the first week, you must submit a Change of Schedule form to the Registrar with the signatures of the instructor and department chair.
Dropping a Course
If you stop attending a class, it is not the same as dropping it. You must take action to drop the course. Before dropping a course, we recommend that you consult the instructor and your academic advisor to discuss the implications. There are very specific deadlines that dictate the consequences of dropping a course. Dates and deadlines vary between full-semester and sprint courses.
Note: Please consult the academic calendar for official withdraw deadlines.
- Student Handbook [PDF]
(for information about registration)
- Academic Calendars
(for specific dates and deadlines)
- Office of the Bursar
(for questions about eligibility of refunds)