College of Arts & Science & University Studies
If you have not yet declared a major or if your major is in the College of Arts and Science (CAS), you will meet with an advisor in the Arts and Science Advising Office. In addition, once you have declared a major, you will be assigned a faculty advisor in that major.
An advisor may recommend that you consult with more than one person or office to have all your questions answered accurately. For example, if you want to study abroad, an advisor will encourage you to speak with the director of Miami's International Education Office. This collaborative approach assures that you will receive the best possible guidance as you complete your degree requirements.
[Meet your advisors.]
We can help you:
- develop an academic plan that fits your educational goals
- create course schedules to fulfill degree requirements
- explore majors, minors, and careers
- identify resources to assist with any challenges you may have
- develop strategies to improve your academic performance
- interpret academic policies
Make an Appointment
You can schedule an appointment with your advisor at any time during the year, including the summer, by calling (513) 529-3031.
During advance registration, the Advising Office offers walk-in advising on a first-come, first-served basis.
Prepare for an Appointment
The key to successful academic advising relies partly upon your initiative. The more questions you ask, the better informed your decisions will be.
To prepare for an advising appointment, you should:
- Give thoughtful consideration to your academic and career goals.
- Make a list of questions for your advisor.
- Review your DARS (Degree Audit Report System) and degree requirements.
- Compose a tentative, written schedule
(if registering for courses).
- Be familiar with the academic calendar, including registration dates and drop-add deadlines.
- Accept responsibility for academic choices.
- Save copies of academic documents such as petitions, transfer credit evaluations and course schedules.